-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…
March 07, 2024
Mystery Stories Vanessa Leigh Giles

Casualty of Love in the Time of Coronavirus

Chapter 1 Until Death do us Part ‘Ring, ring!’. I answered the telephone and asked, “Hello, good evening. Who’s this? “Hello.” This is Dr. Smith from Red Cross hospital. “Is this Mr. Locke, John?”, he asked, hesitantly scratching his bald head. “Yes, doctor.…
March 07, 2024
Crime Stories Robert Pook

Bar Room Trigger

Another return journey on footpaths so familiar. He strides across each crack in each paving stone. Regular loose drain covers sidestepped. Mapping long ago mapped in Richard’s desolate mind. His pace hastened by the sight of the oncoming storm. Quickening…
March 04, 2024
Horror Stories Ano Chinemerem

Sanctity

Where should I begin? I could begin by telling you about this comely boy, whom every notable person around the streets agrees his smile could charm the bills off one. Between one smile, there was his goodness, his dreams and humanity—a little far ahead?— but…
March 04, 2024
Flash Fiction Emanuel Diaz

Et Mortui Partium

As Rafael stepped out into the rain, it wasn't the ordinary drops that fell from the sky. Instead, it was a storm of souls, each one taking the form of shimmering jewelry as it cascaded toward the ground. Rubies, diamonds, and sapphires twinkled amidst the…
February 29, 2024
Poetry Jing Li Ava

London

‘Am I in London?’ "I am." Where is Elizabeth? Happy living story All of your chapter Bounlance joy Please my heart Power hand Wise mind Our baby Vow vow Love all love Miss I miss Endless wonder Bring us together Love all love Miss I miss For everything My…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Rob Pook

Life Sentence of The Smith

Born nine months after his country won the World Cup.A child prodigy.Cast off at age twenty-four.Husband, father, emigree, away on the other side of the world.The blue-collar life.The dreams of success.The search for fulfillment.The long years of empty…
February 29, 2024
Mystery Stories Joshua Lowther

The Operator

Jason looked over to his right, his eyes barely able to focus themselves on the subject of his attention. His neck ached terribly from the strenuous movement. He was tired. The captain’s gaze came to rest on the rookie sonar operator sitting tense at his…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Salvatore Difalco

The Chute

At dusk, we left our unit with a soft pink bundle. I carried it through the wet streets and into the black woods. I said I’d take it all the way, the bundle, but that we had to drop it in together. My wife’s green eyes flashed. “Don’t make me do that.” I…

New York City

December 26, 1950

The Ashland Hotel is a dump in a rundown area of the city. I live in a one-room apartment, two rooms if you include the bathroom, with my common-law husband, sometime cab driver, Joe Davies.  The hotel is a perfect setting for a murder.

 

Aser Thorson is some Swedish guy Joe had picked up in his cab earlier in the evening.  Thorson lives on the same floor as us, but we had never met. Joe is a talkative sort who is always bragging to people that his wife had danced with Rudolph Valentino, been in the Ziegfeld Follies and starred in silent movies.  I guess Thorson wanted to meet me.

No one bothered to ask me what I thought, so when they show up, I didn’t know what is going on.  But the sight of two whiskey bottles and some beer in a stranger’s arms made for warm introductions.  He was about 45, tall, dirty blond hair, lanky and smelled like fruit trees.  I found out later he was an apple picker and worked in a cider factory.

After listening to Joe’s stories, I could see Thorson is disappointed when they come in.  I guess he is expecting some raving beauty instead he gets a 50 year old woman with frizzy red  hair and a puffy face.  Years of drinking had destroyed any beauty I once had.  Joe had to get back to his cab and would not be home until 7am.  I don’t know what he was thinking leaving me alone with a stranger and a lot of hours to kill.  The liquor would help pass the time.

“Call me Aser,” he said.  I said he could call me Evelyn.

He suggests we go to his apartment down the hall.  We grab the bottles and walk the few steps to his place. It is much cleaner than mine.  The table isn’t littered with empty beer bottles and the sink isn’t stacked with dirty dishes.  I had given up cleaning my apartment long ago and left the job to Joe.  I didn’t have the energy anymore.

The evening wore on with more drinking and listless conversation.  Aser is a nervous character. He’s constantly snapping his fingers and toe-tapping to imaginary music. The more he drinks the edgier he becomes; I‘m too drunk to think anything of his actions.  I’m sitting there enjoying another whiskey, when he starts making demands.

“Joe said you were a chorus girl in the Follies,” he said,

“Show me how you danced.”

“What do you mean how I danced?”

“You know - the Follies and Valentino.”

“That was a long time ago, I don’t remember the routines.  And besides, I danced a tango with Valentino. It isn’t a dance you do by yourself.”

He gets up from his chair and turns the radio on.  After twisting the dial a few times he finds a station that isn’t playing Christmas music.

“Now you can dance.”

I didn’t feel like dancing or thinking of the Follies.  Thinking of the past always makes me melancholy.  I keep those days wrapped up in my mind like prized possessions stored in a trunk. The memories aren’t to be shared with a stranger. In those days, I was the “It” girl of the Follies even headlining at the Moulin Rouge in Paris.  Then later I’m the “It” girl of silent films being groomed by a top director for starring roles.  Movie critics and casting agents always mentioned my name and wrote, “Watch for Evelyn Ayres she’s going to be a star.”

Tucked away with those memories is my dance with Valentino - a tango.  It radiates a raw sexuality that made me the envy of a lot of actresses and I still live it over and over in my mind.  I can’t start thinking about those days and push the memories back in that area of my mind that stays closed.  I’m not going to allow the present to interfere with the past.

I’m thinking of leaving when Aser pours me a drink, then another and another.  Before I know it, I’m so high on booze, that I actually think I can remember the dance routines.  Aser notices the difference.

“You feel like dancing now?” he said.

I stumble from my chair and try to hum “Look for the Silver Lining” from Sally a Ziegfeld musical I was in back in the 20’s.  Holding a glass full of whiskey, I close my eyes and with the

song playing in my head attempt some of the dance moves.  I’m whirling, around and around with visions of being on the Ziegfeld stage with thousands of people watching, then I crash into the table sending bottles and ashtrays flying through the air.  I’m looking at Aser and he doesn’t move.  He’s sitting there with beer dripping down his shirt and a disgusted look on his face. I laugh.

I always seem to laugh at the wrong moment; evidently Aser didn’t have a sense of humor.  The room resembles a scene from a slapstick movie minus the pies - and the more I think about it, the louder I laugh until Aser suddenly stands up and slams his hand on the table.  That gets my attention and the laughter stops.  He hurt his hand and I am happy to see that it is his finger-snapping hand.  All that toe-tapping and finger-snapping gets on a person’s nerves.

He didn’t bother to sit back down, instead he begins pacing back and forth, kicking the bottles and ash trays out of his path. He’s not saying anything and I’m getting worried.  I’m thinking now is the time to leave.  Just as I begin to stand he reaches over and pushes me back into the chair.

“Get your hands off me I’m leaving,” I said. I try to stand.

“You can’t leave,” he shouts, and grabs my arms and jerks me from the chair. I’m trying to wrestle my way out of his grasp, but he holds me tighter.

“Let me go,” I scream in his face.  “The neighbors can hear us and they’ll call the cops.”  I begin to panic, “Joe will be home soon I remind Aser, he’ll wonder where I am.”

“Joe doesn’t care, he calls you a whore,” blurts Aser.  “Lots of men pay to sleep with you. Why do you think Joe told me about you?  Why do you think he took me to your apartment?  Why do you think I brought you here?  To see you tango?”  It is his turn to laugh; I guess he does have a sense of humor.

I’m not shocked by what he says, I’m mad!  Mad at Joe for thinking he can make money as a pimp and mad at Aser for thinking I’m an easy lay.  The anger keeps building until I’m on fire.

I scream in Aser’s face “Look you son of a bitch, I choose who I sleep with and it’s not some apple picker who smells like rotten fruit!”

I didn’t see the punch coming and like the books say “I see stars”.  Bright flickers of light are bouncing around my head.  My nose is bleeding and drops are dribbling down my lips.  My tongue makes an inventory of my teeth and nothing is loose or missing.  My vision is blurred and Aser is a hazy image looming over me.

“Get up,” said Aser, yanking on my arm.

I’m slow getting up and I stagger to my feet. The room is moving in a kaleidoscope of colors and I’m weaving with it; such a peaceful feeling like floating on air.  I want to go back to my apartment, lie on the bed and forget about this evening, but I can hear Aser’s voice.

“Take off your clothes,” he demands.

“I’m not that drunk,” I tell him and I wobble towards the door.  He reaches out and picks me up and throws me on the bed.

“I paid $10 dollars for a fuck and I’m getting one,” he whispers in my ear.

Sobriety kicks in, and I’m fighting for my life.  Aser is on top of me pulling at my clothes. I’m pushing and screaming, but he shoves a scarf in my mouth and holds my arms down.  He winds a handkerchief around my neck and I can feel it getting tighter and tighter.  The last thought I have is hearing a tango blaring from the radio and I am dancing with Valentino.

 

End

 

 

I’m 72 and this is one of many stories I have written.  I write because I enjoy it.

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice