-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

The March

By just one seat, the Coalition of Hard Fighting Women, More Justice for Women and Green Now had won the election. At 12 noon on Giri (Wednesday), triumphant feminists would march from each end of Sydney Harbour Bridge to celebrate. Led by Prime Minister…
April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Dominik Slusarczyk

The Exam

I I catch the ball, spin, and throw it back to my friend. I throw it way too hard. It goes sailing over my friend’s head, bounces, then goes into the back of a girl sat in a little circle with her friends. One of her friends tuts at us and tells us to be more…
April 13, 2024
Mystery Stories MegaParsec

Mrs Briton's Secret

Everyday Mrs. Briton would quietly leave the house in the dark. She would tiptoe so that no one would ever come to know that…..(beginning given) She was dying. The only pillar of the family’s well-being depending on a tiny vial and a hypodermic needle. Every…
April 11, 2024
Horror Stories Luna Woods

Cornswell The Witch

The year is 1692. A young fellow named David was on his way into town when he saw a weird-looking house in the distance. The house was old and run-down, but there was still light burning through the windows. "DAVID. DAAAAAAVIIIID." David turned around to see…
April 11, 2024
Science Fiction Stories David Blitch

Do You Remember When?

Do you remember when? Before the Alien Bastards came? Well, I sure do! I sit here in my farm house on the lake, at the foothills of the White Mountains, getting wasted on cheap beer even before the lunch bell has rung. It is a place so secluded, among the…
April 11, 2024
Romance Stories A.Coster

A Night In The Black Forest

My homebound journey following my tour of Europe was interrupted when my plane halted in Paris for a couple hours, leaving me with just one hour in Frankfurt to make my connecting flight. As I had feared, I would not make it. If you’ve traveled through…
April 01, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Salvatore Difalco

Life And Death In The Arcology

My neuropractioner, Dr. Mercury Pope, called my state of despair a waste of time. He wasn’t the only one, but coming from a neuropractioner it meant something. “Let me edit you,” he said, reaching for what they called the Helmet Doctor, a portable editing…
April 01, 2024
General Stories Michael Barlett

The Need For Speed

‘Be-Bop-a-Lula, she’s my baby Be-bop-a Lula, I don’t mean maybe’… CHAPTER ONE Gene Vincent’s rock n’ roll hit song blasted from the Radio Shack speakers in Scotty Ferguson’s souped-up ’53 Studebaker Hawk. Scotty had just cruised the length of the downtown…
March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…

The lake, surrounded by low hills dipping their feet in the waves, slashed the green canvas of the forest like a silver-encrusted knife. A mass of shiny slivers, resembling shattered glass, glimmered on the surface, but every now and then, the sheet of water shuddered and the ripples advanced farther inland to lick the hills. With each quiver, the shards rocked and submerged only to appear again, an instant later. Above the lake, the conical funnel of a volcano belched out a woolpack of smoke.

“Another one,” Vega said. “The third one in an hour. Think it’ll blow up?”

“It will. And it’s going to be big. I’d better send a telegram to San Marcos.”

Gallego, the geologist dug his heels into the mud bubbling around his riding boots. He was a small nondescript man with the kind of face that filled up crowds in busy cities, the kind one tended to forget the moment his back was turned.

“The Indians must be evacuated.”

Vega laughed without mirth.

“Evacuated? You must be kidding.”

“They’ll have to go,” Gallego glanced at the shimmering mass bobbing up and down, then shook his head.

“They are dying by the thousands. There must be an underwater connection. I saw it with Hudson a few years back. Sulphur leaked into the lake and poisoned the fish. But the flooding was worse, and wiped out all the hamlets within three miles around. It could´ve been avoided if someone had paid attention.”

Vega snapped off a tree branch and cleaned the leaves one by one with a finger.

“They’ll not move. It’s their home. They have nowhere else to go.”

“You’re not listening. If Tacana blows off its top, it’ll be the end of this place. And of the people.”

“It’s you who’s not listening,” it was the tone rather than the words that conveyed Vega’s exasperation.

“I’ve lived here long enough to know that they’ll not move as much as an inch. For them, Tacana is not a volcano but a god. A hungry god who’s got bored with the monotonous diet of lake eel. A man drowned there last month, and his body’s not been recovered. They believe Tacana’s got him, and it has whetted his appetite for human flesh.”

Gallego cleared his throat and spat into the water.

“You’re talking about another century...”

“Another century? Not here. Time has stopped here or at least the clocks that measure time must have jammed. For you, Tacana might be a geological formation with an opening to the Earth’s crust, but for them, it’s a hungry monster that has to be appeased.”

“That’s for others to decide. I can’t let these people die. We don’t need another El Chichon - nine villages completely destroyed, two thousand dead. We don’t need this. Not now. Especially with the elections coming up.”

The geologist walked towards a circular clearing in the forest where two horses nibbled on clusters of white-coated grass.

“I’ll take care of the brass. You go and tell the Indians.”

He pushed himself up onto the saddle.

“And remember, Vega. Your loyalty is where your cheques come from.”

He spurred the animal and trotted with a muted clop of hooves.

Around the lake all was silent. Even sparrows, normally chirpy and flustered at this hour, seemed to have vacated their nests. Vega strode towards the remaining horse and patted its neck. The gesture had a practical value - to reassure the horse and to let it know that he was about to mount. But it also fulfilled a need, the need for a physical closeness, even if the recipient were a beast of burden used to harsh treatment and steep mountain paths.

It was not the first time that he felt his rootlessness - a mestizo not of blood but of culture - scratch the townie enamel and you’ll find a country lout. An Indian with a smattering of education kept at a distance by both his own and by those whose lifestyle, he imitated.

He jumped onto the horse and rode through the hushed forest towards Chaual, a haphazard swarm of shacks leaning against each other in a disordered line. From the end of the row, the slurred lyrics of a bolero leaked out mingling with the desolate mooing of a cow.

Vega approached the third hut and parted a threadbare and stiff dust curtain protecting the interior from the glare of the sun.

The shack consisted of one room: rolled-up bedding was stored against one wall, the other part was cluttered by a wooden table on spindly legs and assorted junks whose purpose or utility he failed to establish. On the far windowless wall, hung a picture of the Virgin side by side with a 1974 Coca-Cola calendar - an amalgam of the old and the new, the pious and the irreverent. As always, when entering one of these dwellings, apart from a nostalgic stab to the heart, he became aware that in the silent decrepitude human figures were no more than part of the room’s artefacts.

A woman kneading a ball of dough stood by the table. She sprinkled the table-top with a blizzard of flour, her gestures resembling those of a peasant sowing seeds.

Buenas, Maria” he greeted her. “Your husband?”

She pointed her chin in the direction of a dim corner without releasing her grip on the dough. In the penumbra, Vega could distinguish the form of a man slouched in a chair, elbows resting on his knees, the head bent.

He grunted to signal his presence.

The man gazed up, his eyes dark pools embedded on a chess piece face.

“You seen ´em…” his voice barely rose above a whisper.

“Dyin´.”

“I’ve come to help,” Vega said.

Something like a spark of interest ignited in the dark pools but quickly burnt out.

“It’ll be taken care of...”

The smothering heat of the fire, or maybe it was the first flush of fear slapped crimson patches on Vega’s cheeks.

“You can’t do it,” he said.

The man exposed pink toothless gums in a grin.

“How much did they pay you, Vega?”

“You should know better than that. All I care about is your safety,” Vega strove to control his annoyance.

“I told you, it’ll be taken care of.”

Vega turned to the woman.

“And you? You are a mother yourself. What if it was your child, your daughter?”

The woman slapped the dough on the table, where it rested bulging and grey like a bloated carp.

“You wanna know? You really wanna know?” she mouthed the words distinctly, each accentuated by a hiss.

“If it was my daughter, I’d do it all the same. We’ve done everything. Old Villas even offered his goat. But Tacana ’s not a fool. He didn’t fall for it. No, no-one can cheat him. He knows what he wants and he’ll not rest until he gets it.”

As if to prove her right, another tremor fluttered the curtain and the full-breasted girl on the Coca-Cola calendar appeared to come to life.

“I spoke to Gallego. He thinks you people will have to leave. He’s waiting for the go-ahead.”

The man got up abruptly.

“Gallego! Another pompous ass from the capital! He thinks what he’s told to think. He’s not a K’iche like me.”

He added after a hesitant pause: “Or you.”

He strode towards Vega and grabbed him by the shoulders, their faces nearly touching. “What matters is the fish. We’re dead without it.”

His fingers tightened their grip.

“You´ve forgotten who you are? Your roots? Has the little education they hammered into you wiped out everything? We´re fishermen - without fish we are nothing.”

The woman returned to the dough separating small pieces then using an empty wine bottle rolled them into thin cakes.

Vega disengaged the restraining hands.

“You can’t really believe it’s going to help. You´re too smart for that.”

“It doesn’t matter what I believe. What matters is what they expect me to do.”

“And your conscience? It’s human life... Life you are trying to protect... You can’t...” Vega spat out a deluge of broken sentences.

The man kept his unblinking stare fixed on the floor as if a sudden rush of sadness had come upon him.

“I must...” his voice trailed into silence.

Vega turned on his heel and left the hut.

The sun glistened in the sky like the fly on a fisherman’s line and the village, seen through a film of dust, had an odd nakedness associated with abandonment. The shacks resembled ancient burial mounds and, if what Gallego had predicted was to happen, that’s what they´d soon become.

Behind the village, on a thinly wooded knob, he spotted some children - noisy, puppy-like, flailing their arms and legs in a make-believe game of cops and robbers or whatever it was Indian children in Chaual played. Scatters of shrill and bouncy laughter rolled down from the hill.

He knew he could do nothing else. Nothing for Chaual. Even less for the children. Before leaving he wondered if the Chosen One was among those he saw playing on the hill.

Bio 
J.B. Polk wrote her first  short story in the  early 90s which was short-listed for the  Hennessy Awards. She also got a second in the RTE 1 Short Story for the Radio Competition and then became a regular contributor to Women´s Quality Fiction, Books Ireland and IncoGnito. She was also the co-founder of   Virginia House Writers in Dublin. 

Her creative writing was interrupted as she moved to a new country, divorced, and started writing commercially - for magazines and newspapers and then textbooks for the Chilean and Mexican Ministries of Education.

There is an unpublished novel hidden somewhere and a new one just turning into the initial chapters.

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice