-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

The March

By just one seat, the Coalition of Hard Fighting Women, More Justice for Women and Green Now had won the election. At 12 noon on Giri (Wednesday), triumphant feminists would march from each end of Sydney Harbour Bridge to celebrate. Led by Prime Minister…
April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Dominik Slusarczyk

The Exam

I I catch the ball, spin, and throw it back to my friend. I throw it way too hard. It goes sailing over my friend’s head, bounces, then goes into the back of a girl sat in a little circle with her friends. One of her friends tuts at us and tells us to be more…
April 13, 2024
Mystery Stories MegaParsec

Mrs Briton's Secret

Everyday Mrs. Briton would quietly leave the house in the dark. She would tiptoe so that no one would ever come to know that…..(beginning given) She was dying. The only pillar of the family’s well-being depending on a tiny vial and a hypodermic needle. Every…
April 11, 2024
Horror Stories Luna Woods

Cornswell The Witch

The year is 1692. A young fellow named David was on his way into town when he saw a weird-looking house in the distance. The house was old and run-down, but there was still light burning through the windows. "DAVID. DAAAAAAVIIIID." David turned around to see…
April 11, 2024
Science Fiction Stories David Blitch

Do You Remember When?

Do you remember when? Before the Alien Bastards came? Well, I sure do! I sit here in my farm house on the lake, at the foothills of the White Mountains, getting wasted on cheap beer even before the lunch bell has rung. It is a place so secluded, among the…
April 11, 2024
Romance Stories A.Coster

A Night In The Black Forest

My homebound journey following my tour of Europe was interrupted when my plane halted in Paris for a couple hours, leaving me with just one hour in Frankfurt to make my connecting flight. As I had feared, I would not make it. If you’ve traveled through…
April 01, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Salvatore Difalco

Life And Death In The Arcology

My neuropractioner, Dr. Mercury Pope, called my state of despair a waste of time. He wasn’t the only one, but coming from a neuropractioner it meant something. “Let me edit you,” he said, reaching for what they called the Helmet Doctor, a portable editing…
April 01, 2024
General Stories Michael Barlett

The Need For Speed

‘Be-Bop-a-Lula, she’s my baby Be-bop-a Lula, I don’t mean maybe’… CHAPTER ONE Gene Vincent’s rock n’ roll hit song blasted from the Radio Shack speakers in Scotty Ferguson’s souped-up ’53 Studebaker Hawk. Scotty had just cruised the length of the downtown…
March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…

Frey

Frey Bethella sat on a small stool gazing blankly into space. The letter he had just read fell slowly from his grasp. He was in shock. There had been whispers and rumours among the other guards but Frey never believed it. Benson Foghearth, Captain of the Guard, was an honourable man Frey told himself. This couldn’t be true. Surely Benson would never harm an innocent. Let alone newborn babies? He felt sick, wishing now he had returned the letter instead of letting his curiosity get the better of him.

Frey remained on the City wall of Malsor City on duty, confused and wondering. Hurt even. Ben wasn’t just his captain but a friend. The hour finally came when Frey’s watch was over. The sun had departed and the moon introduced itself. Frey’s replacement, Liam, came up beside him. Frey didn’t even notice. He was lost in his thoughts.

Liam stood there looking at Frey with a cheeky smile. Eventually he spoke.

“Frey,” he said “Your watch is over. I’ll take it from here.”

Only then did Frey notice Liam. He looked up, trying to conceal his thoughts, but he knew his eyes gave something away.

“Are you alright Frey?” said Liam “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”

Frey stared at him for a moment before responding. “It’s nothing, I’m just tired.” he said silently.

“Go home to your wife and that little daughter of yours.” said Liam.

Frey hoped up off the stool and walked away frantically. Liam gave him a look of confusion.

Faster than he ever did before, Frey returned home. His home was tiny, it was only one room. It consisted of a large bed where he lay with his wife and a smaller one for his daughter. There was a small pot over a hearth where his wife cooked for her family. Lastly there was a small bath, large enough for only one adult.

Natalya, Frey’s wife, was sitting up on her bed knitting. Frey’s daughter Maria was his most prized possession. The eight year old was sleeping on her small bed, suckling her thumb as she always did with her year old puppy at her feet.

Frey did not look at Natalya as he entered. He rushed over to his sleeping daughter and kissed her on the forehead. “I love you” he whispered softly.

He turned to his wife. His face was that of a mad man. She was about to speak but Frey interrupted her.

“Liam is sick,” he said “I have to cover his watch. I just came by to check on you”

Natalya frowned. “I was looking forward to your company.” She said “Maria is a heavy sleeper; we could have had some fun.” She said smiling.

“Another time.” said Frey, fear still shrouding his face. Natalya didn’t suspect a thing.

Natalya held up some small red gloves she had been knitting. “For Maria” she said “What do you-”

Frey interrupted her. “I’m sorry Nat,” he said with despair “Not now, I have to get back.” Frey couldn’t hold a stare into his wives face. He was growing nervous.

He burst through the door of his house out onto the street. The streets were empty. Only the sound of the light breeze on young birch trees made a noise. He felt the handle of his sword and gripped it tightly. “I have to do this,” he said quietly to himself with courage in his tone.

Frey marched through the narrow streets of Malsor City as fast and as natural as he could. He stopped at a tall three story house and looked up. A window on the top floor shined with light. Frey knew that was the window of Benson’s chambers. The front door of the building was unlocked. Frey quietly rose up the stairs step by step until he came to the third floor.

Standing at the door of Benson’s chambers he stopped and gazed at the door, taking slow deep breaths. Courage finally possessed him and he knocked. Benson answered wearing nothing but a silk blue robe lined with gold. His face all of a sudden seemed smug to Frey. Benson stood a few inches taller than Frey despite Benson being barefooted and Frey wearing his heeled iron boots.

Benson gave Frey a look of exasperation. “Frey,” he said “What in the name of Aegius could you want me for at this hour?”

Frey gave him a bold stare. “I need a word captain. May I come in? Less ears the better.”

“Come on in then.” said Benson with a sigh.

Frey walked in and stood tall, taking a deep breath. When Benson closed the door and turned he was met with a bold gaze from Frey. Benson was about to say something but Frey interrupted.

“Is it true” questioned Frey.

Benson tilted his head “Is what true? Have you been drinking again?”

“You know what.” said Frey with a raised voice. He began to somewhat shake with nerves.

“I do not have time for this nonsense.” said Benson.

“The babies.” said Frey, his voice clear and bold.

Benson’s eyes widened, shocked.  “Where did you hear this?” he said, his tone was now one of fear.

“One of the counsels came by the cities front gate earlier,” began Frey “He was looking for you. He had a whole bag full of letters. This one must have fallen out. I was going to have it returned but I couldn’t help but read it. I wish I hadn’t now.”

A lone tear fell from Frey’s eyes. He continued. “How could you do such a thing. Having newborn babies taken from their mothers and put down.”

Benson spoke up. “Their lives would have been suffering. There is not enough food in all of Arathorn too feed so many babies. The homeless and lowborn breed like fucking rabbits in this city, it was becoming a problem. The king ordered-“

Frey stopped him; his voice was filled with anger. “Auroch-shit too that. Fuck the king. This is nothing but sick murder. My sister’s baby was taken from her last month and killed. I know for a horse fucking fact that my sister was well capable of raising that baby.” Frey’s heart was drowned in passion and anger.

Benson did not have a response.

Frey began the speech of arrest. “Ben Foghearth, Captain of the Guard of Malsor City. In the name of the King I am placing you under arrest for crimes against the people of Malsor.”

Frey pulled a pair of iron handcuffs from his belt and shoved Benson face first against the door. He gathered Benson’s hands and began placing the iron handcuffs around his wrists.

“You don’t know what you’re getting yourself into Frey,” said Benson “You’re an idiot. The killings were ordered by the king. Anyone who’s important in this city knows all about it.”

Frey turned Benson around and gave him a look of fury. The door Benson had his back up against suddenly smashed open, knocking him onto the ground hard. Three armed men entered the room. They were not guards, but knights, their faces concealed behind mighty plate helms. They each wielded huge shining, double-edged swords gripped tightly in both hands.

“About bloody time,” moaned a bruised Benson. “Kill him, he knows everything. If this gets out we’ll have a bloody riot on our hands.”

Frey drew his long sword. It was dwarfed by the monsters the knights held. One of the knights stepped towards Frey and raised his sword before slamming it down. Frey stepped to a side dodging the blow. He raised his sword and struck down on the back of the knight’s neck. Blood sprayed out like a wild geyser and the knight fell flat on his face, dead.

A second knight came running at Frey, but this one was better prepared. Frey and the knight traded parry after parry. The knight’s sword was larger, lighter and unfortunately for Frey, the man using it clearly a better fighter. With a final heavy clash of steel, Frey’s sword was knocked from his hands. Now unarmed, the knight stalked Frey while the third knight watched on and Benson remained lying on the ground watching.

The knight finally raised his sword and brought it down, but Frey had stepped under it. The knight turned and growled before nodding at something over Frey’s shoulder. The third knight stuck his double-edged sword through Frey’s back. The knight twisted and shoved it further in before it burst out though his stomach. Blood filled Frey’s mouth, but he did not make a sound. The knight withdrew his sword and with that Frey fell forward on his face, dead.

“Get the bodies out of here,” howled Benson at the two remaining knights. “We’ll have to cover this up.”

 

Maria

The sun rose bright in the morning, not a cloud to be seen. Maria sat up in her bed sucking on her thumb. Sandor, her puppy lay asleep at her feet. She looked over at the bed where she would see her mother and father sleeping each morning. Her mother slept soundly, a pair of red gloves by her side. Her father was not there this morning.

A loud banging could be heard on the front door. Natalya sat his startled. She put on one of the robes she had knitted herself and walked over to the door. “Go back to sleep.” she told Maria.

Natalya stepped outside. Maria could hear her mother talk to a man. Through the closed door she could only make out grumbling. A few minutes passed before Natalya returned. Tears filled her eyes but she did not cry. She looked over at Maria. Natalya’s eyes told a story. She walked over to Maria and lay down on her bed which was much too small for the both of them. After embracing Maria with a long kiss on the forehead she looked into her eyes.

“Fathers dead.” said Natalya as she broke out in a gentle cry. “There was a fire during the night. Your daddy saved many people. He was brave. But the fire got him.”

They sat on the tiny bed, hugging and crying together for a sad hour. Eventually Natalya stood up and spoke. “Get dressed honey. We’ll go to the House of Aegius and say a prayer.”

 

Author Bio: Darrell Monks is 20 year old life-long fan of medieval fantasy. His favoured series include a Song of Ice and Fire, The Elder Scrolls and many works of Tolkien. He is a student in horticulture, passionate about nature, birds and storytelling.

 

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice