-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…
March 07, 2024
Mystery Stories Vanessa Leigh Giles

Casualty of Love in the Time of Coronavirus

Chapter 1 Until Death do us Part ‘Ring, ring!’. I answered the telephone and asked, “Hello, good evening. Who’s this? “Hello.” This is Dr. Smith from Red Cross hospital. “Is this Mr. Locke, John?”, he asked, hesitantly scratching his bald head. “Yes, doctor.…
March 07, 2024
Crime Stories Robert Pook

Bar Room Trigger

Another return journey on footpaths so familiar. He strides across each crack in each paving stone. Regular loose drain covers sidestepped. Mapping long ago mapped in Richard’s desolate mind. His pace hastened by the sight of the oncoming storm. Quickening…
March 04, 2024
Horror Stories Ano Chinemerem

Sanctity

Where should I begin? I could begin by telling you about this comely boy, whom every notable person around the streets agrees his smile could charm the bills off one. Between one smile, there was his goodness, his dreams and humanity—a little far ahead?— but…
March 04, 2024
Flash Fiction Emanuel Diaz

Et Mortui Partium

As Rafael stepped out into the rain, it wasn't the ordinary drops that fell from the sky. Instead, it was a storm of souls, each one taking the form of shimmering jewelry as it cascaded toward the ground. Rubies, diamonds, and sapphires twinkled amidst the…
February 29, 2024
Poetry Jing Li Ava

London

‘Am I in London?’ "I am." Where is Elizabeth? Happy living story All of your chapter Bounlance joy Please my heart Power hand Wise mind Our baby Vow vow Love all love Miss I miss Endless wonder Bring us together Love all love Miss I miss For everything My…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Rob Pook

Life Sentence of The Smith

Born nine months after his country won the World Cup.A child prodigy.Cast off at age twenty-four.Husband, father, emigree, away on the other side of the world.The blue-collar life.The dreams of success.The search for fulfillment.The long years of empty…
February 29, 2024
Mystery Stories Joshua Lowther

The Operator

Jason looked over to his right, his eyes barely able to focus themselves on the subject of his attention. His neck ached terribly from the strenuous movement. He was tired. The captain’s gaze came to rest on the rookie sonar operator sitting tense at his…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Salvatore Difalco

The Chute

At dusk, we left our unit with a soft pink bundle. I carried it through the wet streets and into the black woods. I said I’d take it all the way, the bundle, but that we had to drop it in together. My wife’s green eyes flashed. “Don’t make me do that.” I…

I closed my front door, entered the lounge - and gasped. Jesus Christ! I fought back the bitter-tasting bile flooding my mouth. Counting from one to ten as I slowly exhaled, I took a second look. This time the vomit won, and splashed onto the blood-soaked floor.

My eyes streaming and my knees trembling, I tried to control myself. I forced myself to think back to the first autopsy I’d witnessed – the coroner had said he’d never seen anyone puke so much. I recalled the first dead body I’d seen. I hadn’t been sick that time – but, then, the old lady had just been asphyxiated. Okay, the first victim of bloody, violent murder I’d seen? Decapitation. Yes, I’d heaved up, of course. I can still vividly remember the startled expression on the woman’s face. Now, was I, a big, roughie-toughie police woman going to be bothered by what I saw – and smelt here?

I don’t know where the second burst of vomit came from. I hadn’t even had dinner – and wasn’t likely to now. What a mess to come home to!

Sweating, my throat feeling red-raw, a foul taste in my mouth, realisation suddenly dawned on me. It was the first of April! How had I fallen for it? (Chris would never stop the patronising ‘blonde’ jokes after this - I’d dye my hair dark). It had been a long day...

I shouted, ‘Very funny, Chris. Ha - bloody – ha.’

My ex had obviously taken some stage props from his theatre and had arranged the trick.  It was all a sick joke. I glanced at the first ‘butchered victim’.

‘It does look realistic, I’ll give you that – that fleapit theatre of yours must be improving.’ I inhaled deeply. ‘Yep, and the stench is pretty convincing too. And, by the way, you can clean up my house now - this fake blood is going to take some scrubbing. My lounge looks like a bloody abattoir.’

He still didn’t answer.

I snapped, ‘I know you’re there, Chris. You’re the April bloody fool! If you think this is going to make me come back to you, you’re wrong. I might have considered it once, but after this, no way.’

The abdomen was slit open, its intestines spilling out like foul sausages. I felt his eyes on me and knew he had enjoyed my initial reaction.

‘Think this is funny? I remember you crawling around your mother’s floor, your baggy boxer shorts revealing most of your spotty ass as you puked for England!’

I irritably slapped the dummy, and leapt back. It was real! No one could fake the feel of dead flesh. I sniffed lightly. I’m sure I’ll never get used to foetid stenches like that. I gagged, but no more vomit emerged.

So, who were these women? Why the Hell had some maniac chosen my home as the crime scene? Did I know the killer? And, more importantly, was he still in my house?

In policewoman mode once more, I carefully checked each room. The house was empty. It was just me and five dead women.

I decided to take a quick look before calling my colleagues. Maybe this was a blessing in disguise – the gateway to my long overdue promotion. I concentrated on the job in hand, a perfume soaked handkerchief at my nose. Willing myself not to vomit, I looked in turn at each of the five women.

Several of the first murdered woman’s teeth were missing, her face badly bruised. The main blood vessels of her neck had been severed on both sides. Her abdomen had been stabbed and slashed repeatedly.

The second victim’s swollen tongue protruded obscenely, her face battered and swollen. Her throat slashed, her abdomen viciously hacked.

The third wasn’t so gruesome. The only apparent injury was the obvious cause of death. The woman’s throat had been slit.

The fourth made up for the third’s lack of goriness! Of course, he’d used his trademark, the slashed throat. She’d been opened from her rectum to her breastbone, her intestines ceremoniously draped over her shoulder. A cursory glance revealed that one of her kidneys and her womb had been taken. The nose and an earlobe had been removed. The woman’s features had also been disfigured – there were peculiar cuts on her eyelids and cheeks.

The fifth – oh, my God, the fifth! The body was only just recognisable as human. The face had been horribly mutilated. The victim’s ears, eyebrows, cheeks, nose and lips were slashed and hacked away. Her breasts were removed, her abdominal cavity emptied, and huge flaps of skin taken from her thighs and abdomen.  He’d played hide and seek with the intestines, liver, spleen, and womb, and placed them in various locations around the body. So, where was the heart? I couldn’t see that anywhere. Before her throat had been slashed, the poor woman had obviously put up a fight – her hands and forearms were covered in wounds.

I felt too much horror to be nauseous. I imagined the deaths of the women. The fifth’s frantic battle for survival must have aroused him to a frenzy of slashing when he had finally overpowered her.

I heard a noise. Footsteps. My heart feeling as though it would leap from my chest, I listened. Heavy breathing. Yes, and whispering. So, he was still there, after all. Where the Hell had he been hiding?

He repeated my name, over and over, ‘Courtney.’ The whispers sounded more sinister than any noise I’d ever heard before. Far scarier than gunshots – even the sound of the bullet that had just missed my spine hadn’t filled me with such terror. Had I survived being paralysed to be mutilated by some deranged killer? I’d certainly fight with all I had. But if I lost, would the killer mutilate me more disgustingly than he’d carved up the last victim?

Exhaling slowly, I remembered my police training. I knew how to defend myself. I was learning kick-boxing and was a Green Belt in karate. He’d picked on defenceless women previously. I will not feel fear, I thought – but I did.

The whispers made my hairs stand on end. ‘Whore.’

I fought the urge to push my fingers into my ears. No, I had to be able to tell where the sounds were coming from. Alone, in the chamber of horrors with a maniac, I began to silently pray. Images of my dead parents and of my ex husband flooded my mind. Chris had been a jerk, but, at that moment, I would have given anything to have his reassuring bulk beside me. I would have even felt glad of his mother’s company – now, that was saying something!

I remembered how Chris had pestered me with telephone calls and letters, virtually begging for a second chance. When I’d threatened to report him for stalking me, he had fallen silent. Would he still want me? Or would he have found another woman? I decided if I came through it in one piece, I’d contact him. If he told me to get lost, so be it.

I heard the killer whisper again, sending new shivers throughout my body.

‘Saucy Jack is going to rip you, police whore.’

I clasped my hand to my mouth. Saucy Jack! Suddenly it all fitted into place. The Ouija Board, the strange message that I’d laughed about the night before, five murdered women: somehow, Jack the Ripper and his victims were in my house! My lovely new home; the Victorian house I’d always dreamed of. But why was he at my home? He’d obviously lived somewhere; perhaps the serial killer had lived there, once…

‘You can’t hurt me,’ I said, struggling to make my voice sound confident. ‘You’re…you’re dead.’

Insane laughter echoed throughout the house.

Trembling, I continued, ‘You butchered five women in 1888. This is 2012 – you, like those poor women, are long dead, pal.’

I waited for his response. Silence.

I thought back over the message spelt out on the Ouija Board. I hadn’t paid it any real attention, thinking that one of my giggling friends had been responsible. It had been a silly evening, the five of us getting drunk, toasting our status as ‘young, free and single’. Now, how had that message gone? I tried to remember.

‘The Juwes are the men that will not be blamed for nothing,’ the killer repeated.

I gasped, my heart literally missing a beat.

‘Yes, I can hear your thoughts, bitch.’ The laugh was far more menacing than the words. ‘I know all your secrets, Courtney, you filthy slut. Your husband doesn’t know what a vile mind you have. He thinks you’re not interested in sins of the flesh.’ Again, the evil laugh echoed.

‘Who are you, you bastard?’

‘Wouldn’t you like to know, you whore?’

The laugh didn’t scare me anymore.

I shrugged. ‘No, not really.’

‘They never caught me. Think you can do better?’

‘I was never interested in the case. I thought you were just some sad loser who had to get his kicks from mutilating defenceless women.’

The television exploded, showering the lounge with glass, as it was picked up by invisible hands and hurled across the room.

‘What a mess! How dare you! Look at my home! Blood and guts everywhere and now glass!’ My terror transformed itself into rage. ‘Who cares who you were! Maybe you were a doctor or a barrister or a member of the Royal family or’ – I thumped the wall – ‘AN ABSOLUTE NOBODY.’

The killer didn’t laugh.

‘Show yourself, coward. I’m a woman but I’m not weak like those five women you preyed on.’

I suddenly remembered the tiny bottle of holy water that Chris had brought back from a visit to the abbey at Monte Cassino. (I’d meant to throw it away, but hadn’t liked to, somehow – my only keepsake of our honeymoon in Italy. We had got on just fine for nearly the whole fortnight.) I knew exactly where it was: in the top left hand drawer of the bedside cabinet, beside the vibrator. My obsessive compulsive disorder for tidiness had driven Chris mad, but it had its positive side, after all!

I rushed upstairs, bracing myself to fight the killer at any second, and grabbed the bottle. I had never believed in the power of holy water but I had nothing to lose. It worked in horror films!

Sprinkling the water around the house, I again repeated fragments of prayers that I recalled from my schooldays.

I noticed a shadowy figure materialising in the corner of my hallway. He was using all his strength to defeat me. The huge knife in his hands glinted menacingly.

Throwing the contents of the bottle at the figure, I recalled a line from a play staged at Chris’ theatre once, and shouted, ‘You have no power. Be gone, back to Hell.’

A gust of wind nearly blew me off my feet, and the front door opened and slammed shut. I’ve never been sure if my words, or the forceful way they were delivered, did the trick, but Jack the Ripper and his poor, pathetic victims were gone. And my home was as clean as it had always been.

I thought again of Chris. He was the only person I knew who would believe me. I wanted – needed – him there. My hands still shaking, I found his details in my address book – I’d wondered at the time why I’d even bothered entering them - and dialled his number. As he answered, I broke down. What if he hung up?

‘Courtney? Is that you, babe?’

 

BIO: I'm married and live in Plymouth, England, where I work for the local theatre. Quite a few of my short stories, poems and articles have appeared in magazines, anthologies, and webzines, and have also been broadcast on the radio. I've had some competition success too.

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice