-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…
March 07, 2024
Mystery Stories Vanessa Leigh Giles

Casualty of Love in the Time of Coronavirus

Chapter 1 Until Death do us Part ‘Ring, ring!’. I answered the telephone and asked, “Hello, good evening. Who’s this? “Hello.” This is Dr. Smith from Red Cross hospital. “Is this Mr. Locke, John?”, he asked, hesitantly scratching his bald head. “Yes, doctor.…
March 07, 2024
Crime Stories Robert Pook

Bar Room Trigger

Another return journey on footpaths so familiar. He strides across each crack in each paving stone. Regular loose drain covers sidestepped. Mapping long ago mapped in Richard’s desolate mind. His pace hastened by the sight of the oncoming storm. Quickening…
March 04, 2024
Horror Stories Ano Chinemerem

Sanctity

Where should I begin? I could begin by telling you about this comely boy, whom every notable person around the streets agrees his smile could charm the bills off one. Between one smile, there was his goodness, his dreams and humanity—a little far ahead?— but…
March 04, 2024
Flash Fiction Emanuel Diaz

Et Mortui Partium

As Rafael stepped out into the rain, it wasn't the ordinary drops that fell from the sky. Instead, it was a storm of souls, each one taking the form of shimmering jewelry as it cascaded toward the ground. Rubies, diamonds, and sapphires twinkled amidst the…
February 29, 2024
Poetry Jing Li Ava

London

‘Am I in London?’ "I am." Where is Elizabeth? Happy living story All of your chapter Bounlance joy Please my heart Power hand Wise mind Our baby Vow vow Love all love Miss I miss Endless wonder Bring us together Love all love Miss I miss For everything My…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Rob Pook

Life Sentence of The Smith

Born nine months after his country won the World Cup.A child prodigy.Cast off at age twenty-four.Husband, father, emigree, away on the other side of the world.The blue-collar life.The dreams of success.The search for fulfillment.The long years of empty…
February 29, 2024
Mystery Stories Joshua Lowther

The Operator

Jason looked over to his right, his eyes barely able to focus themselves on the subject of his attention. His neck ached terribly from the strenuous movement. He was tired. The captain’s gaze came to rest on the rookie sonar operator sitting tense at his…
February 29, 2024
Flash Fiction Salvatore Difalco

The Chute

At dusk, we left our unit with a soft pink bundle. I carried it through the wet streets and into the black woods. I said I’d take it all the way, the bundle, but that we had to drop it in together. My wife’s green eyes flashed. “Don’t make me do that.” I…

The rust-coloured blood flakes off my hands and falls to the ground like snow. Grime is caked underneath my fingernails and twigs nest in my hair. My shirt is torn, boots covered in mud. My throat is closing with my heart beating out of my chest. Sweat drips down me in rivulets. Muscles tensing up, I can't shake the feeling that someone is watching me; following my every move.

 I hide my shaking hands in my coat pockets and walk down the busy street with an eerie calm. My head held high, I refuse to make eye contact with anyone, least they figure out my secret.

 I can picture him now. Lying in the forest while his blood slowly seeps into the earth. His glassy eyes take in the stars above him. His left leg crooked at an odd angle. His brain peeks out from his caved in head with a piece of alabaster skull barely concealing it. And his auburn hair frames his head like a halo. The perfect end to a sick, sadistic bastard’s life.

 I stop imagining Jake’s body as I feel acid creep up my throat. I just need to relax. I am not guilty.

“Excuse me! Miss!”

I freeze as I hear those words, my body locking into place. Chills creep down my spine and needles pierce my skull. My mind goes blank as I turn slowly. The policeman stalks towards me as he reaches for his handcuffs. Instead he produces my wallet.

“You dropped this back there.”

With trembling hands I take the item and catch his eye as he notes the remaining spots of blood covering my wrists. Before he can question me I turn around and scurry away.

 I keep a steady pace and round the corner onto my street. It’s deathly quiet and littered with junk. Puddles reflect back the soft glow of the street lights. A shadow moves behind me and I flash back to the night I first saw Jake. How he looked at me, how he smiled. How he muffled my screams as he touched me.

 Before that moment I did actually think he was hot. I’d heard rumours about him toying with girl’s feelings and I told myself that I wouldn't let him get to me. He had other ideas.

 I tried to block that first night out, convince myself it was just a nightmare. I never woke up. Jake wasn't done with me and I became something he could play with.

 He took my security from me, turning my home into a place where I didn't feel safe. I felt like I didn't belong in my own skin as he made my body his own. I tried to scrub his smell off of me, tried to remove the feeling of his hands. But it never worked.

 The little shit deserved what I did to him. I will forever be plagued by him, always looking over my shoulder, wondering if he’s lurking in the shadows.

 I unlock my front door and spot a figure at the end of the street. Ignoring them, I shuffle into the chilly darkness where silence greets me. I fumble along the wall for the light switch, my eyes already playing tricks on me. The floorboards creak and groan as I tiptoe down the hallway; stairs barely holding my weight. The wind whistles through the old building like the haunted voices of ghosts. My bedroom is an icebox and I quickly flick on the heater. Shapes flit in the darkness just outside my vision, disappearing as soon as I turn my head. My hands clam, the hairs on my neck stand at attention and I tell myself I'm being paranoid. There's no one here. Only me.

Peeling back the soft covers of my bed, I settle in as the sheets envelop me in a hug. The adrenaline that flowed through me before leaves; in its place exhaustion and my eyes grow heavy with sleep. I’m trying to relax myself when a clanging comes from downstairs.

My eyes fly open and I’m instantly on high alert, getting out of bed and creeping towards the stairs. Pausing, I listen for any more commotion but am only met with the stillness of an empty house. After creeping back downstairs I head towards the kitchen. Pots and pans are strewn all over the floor and multiple draws are open. I start to freak, wondering if the intruder is still in my house. Walking through to the lounge, everything is as it was left. Same deal in the bathroom. I can't hear anyone else moving about and can't find anyone hiding, so whoever it was must've left. But why would someone break into my house just to mess up my kitchen?

 I move back upstairs and finally start to calm down when I see muddy footprints leading into my bedroom. There’s nothing on me to use as a weapon and my phone’s on my bedside table.  I follow the trail and ease my door open, cringing as it squeaks on its hinges. Peeking my head in, my eyes find an empty room with dirt all over the ground. What the hell? The blankets from my bed have been kicked off and my pillows have been slashed to pieces, a sea of feathers surrounding them.

 Something catches my eye on the mirror. I choke on air. FOR JAKE has been written on it in giant, red letters. Someone knows what I did and is here to get revenge. I stumble backwards.  Trip. Fall straight into someone's arms. They wrap around my waist and hold me captive.

“You know you deserve this,” comes a husky whisper at my ear. They cover my mouth and nose with some sort of fabric. When I breath in my nose is assaulted by the smell of chemicals. My heart drops. I start to go limp, fighting with all I've got to stay awake but it's no use. The edges of my vision start to go blurry until all I can see is darkness.

 

End

 

Bio: a girl from the ends of the earth trying to live her dream 

 

 

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice