-The best stories on the web-
Read or link to over 1000 stories listed under Stories to the left.
Submit your short stories for review as a Word document attached to an email to: Read@Short-Story.Me

Latest Stories

April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

The March

By just one seat, the Coalition of Hard Fighting Women, More Justice for Women and Green Now had won the election. At 12 noon on Giri (Wednesday), triumphant feminists would march from each end of Sydney Harbour Bridge to celebrate. Led by Prime Minister…
April 13, 2024
Flash Fiction Dominik Slusarczyk

The Exam

I I catch the ball, spin, and throw it back to my friend. I throw it way too hard. It goes sailing over my friend’s head, bounces, then goes into the back of a girl sat in a little circle with her friends. One of her friends tuts at us and tells us to be more…
April 13, 2024
Mystery Stories MegaParsec

Mrs Briton's Secret

Everyday Mrs. Briton would quietly leave the house in the dark. She would tiptoe so that no one would ever come to know that…..(beginning given) She was dying. The only pillar of the family’s well-being depending on a tiny vial and a hypodermic needle. Every…
April 11, 2024
Horror Stories Luna Woods

Cornswell The Witch

The year is 1692. A young fellow named David was on his way into town when he saw a weird-looking house in the distance. The house was old and run-down, but there was still light burning through the windows. "DAVID. DAAAAAAVIIIID." David turned around to see…
April 11, 2024
Science Fiction Stories David Blitch

Do You Remember When?

Do you remember when? Before the Alien Bastards came? Well, I sure do! I sit here in my farm house on the lake, at the foothills of the White Mountains, getting wasted on cheap beer even before the lunch bell has rung. It is a place so secluded, among the…
April 11, 2024
Romance Stories A.Coster

A Night In The Black Forest

My homebound journey following my tour of Europe was interrupted when my plane halted in Paris for a couple hours, leaving me with just one hour in Frankfurt to make my connecting flight. As I had feared, I would not make it. If you’ve traveled through…
April 01, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Salvatore Difalco

Life And Death In The Arcology

My neuropractioner, Dr. Mercury Pope, called my state of despair a waste of time. He wasn’t the only one, but coming from a neuropractioner it meant something. “Let me edit you,” he said, reaching for what they called the Helmet Doctor, a portable editing…
April 01, 2024
General Stories Michael Barlett

The Need For Speed

‘Be-Bop-a-Lula, she’s my baby Be-bop-a Lula, I don’t mean maybe’… CHAPTER ONE Gene Vincent’s rock n’ roll hit song blasted from the Radio Shack speakers in Scotty Ferguson’s souped-up ’53 Studebaker Hawk. Scotty had just cruised the length of the downtown…
March 19, 2024
Fantasy Stories Wondering Monk

Just My Imagination

The alarm clock went off and started playing an awful tune. Tom opened his eyes and closed them back, squinting. He reopened one eye and stood up to stop the torture. The phone was on the desk, in the furthest spot from the bed. Although he changed his way of…
March 19, 2024
Science Fiction Stories Ocelotlzin

Earth Is Dead

Recording… It doesn't matter who I was; I probably lived a long time ago, and I am now just a voice someone added to the audio-visual records. What is essential is the recollection of events that lead to the current state. So, a little history needs to be…
March 08, 2024
Flash Fiction Benoit

Some Enchanted Evening

It was a rugby tackle with tears: Chrissy burst in, sobbing and babbling, hugging James. Her face was all wet, eyes wild. What…? My parents split up, Dad has moved in with his boyfriend and I cannot join them. I am shut out. I have lost my dad. Torrent of…
March 08, 2024
Horror Stories Marvel Chukwudi Pephel

In The Hands Of My Legs

The car pulled up in front of the large salon. The neon sign, that sexy broad thing, on the salon'sroof read "Mr. Gil's All-night Salon". The exhaust pipe of the car was pumping solid smoke, theswirls moving from the car and towards the salon.…

The wind was howling though the trees at sixty miles per hour as if it was blocking out all noise on purpose. The rain drops as big and as round as looking glasses pelted down at lightning speed, creating a mosaic of mirror images all around me; my pale white reflection staring silently at me everywhere I looked. The sky was a never ending pit of unimaginable darkness, making me feel claustrophobic.  As I stared in earnest to find just an inch of light to guide me into safety, the storm picked up, the ice cold water from the rain seeping through me, freezing me to the bone. I stumbled forward blindly, my footsteps masked by the noise. What was happening? It was as though the world was in an uproar, trying desperately to unleash the anger and fury on anything it could find. What was happening?

As he stole stealthily down the eerily lit side street, the sense of danger and rage was like a blood curding scream of anguish. As his mood increased rapidly, the sky deepened into a velvety, black pit of darkness, gradually getting darker by the second. The only source of light was the lampposts spread evenly on either side of the road; casting deformed shadows unevenly down the narrow street.  Eugh, light, who invented that ghastly thing. Darkness is the key to everything. The screams and protests of his unfortunate victims were drown out, fading into a black hole of nothingness; where they were forgotten about once and for all. He paced doggedly, avoiding as much as possible, the beam of light being shed. If, by chance, a slither of light managed to escape its confinement to illuminate the dark presence, you would see the most beautiful thing you’d ever laid eyes upon. He was a proud creature of about 6 ft. 2, who had a mysterious aura about him. His toned muscular body was tense and rigid as he walked like a shadow amongst the pure souls of the living. He was dressed casually in a black V necked jumper, which fitted him perfectly, clinging to every curve of his perfectly toned body. Alongside this he wore opened legged jeans also black, with heavy, gothic looking boots. His footsteps were masked by the silence, the sense of dread and rage was so loud it threatened to engulf him.  Suddenly, out of the blue, came an old Aston Martin screeching around the tight corners of the street. For an instance he was caught like an unfortunate rabbit in the blinding headlights. The face of this thing was extraordinary. He had a strong jaw line with a chin that jutted out at an attractive angle. He had perfectly shaped lips which always had the hint of a mocking smile, as though everything was funny. When you looked into his eyes, it sent a shiver down your spine. They were as black as the Midnight sky, with hatred and anger pent up behind them. They were like two black holes, threatening to engulf everything.

Every window he walked past showed a role play of images. Stupid, careless humans prancing about happily without a care in the world. If only they knew. If only they felt as he did. He felt nothing. No fear. No regret. No remorse. Nothing. How did anyone live with emotions, with feelings? They make you do things you have no control over, they made you fall in love. Oh how he hated that word. There’s no such thing. It was all her fault. That one person who had ruined everything; who had ripped out his un beating heart with that cruel malicious smile spread over her face. What did his brother have that he didn’t?  He was the better looking of the two, there’s no doubt about that. He knew how to turn on the charm. Why wasn’t he good enough? God damn it. He should of finished it- No; reminiscing on the past doesn’t get you anywhere. The only way is forward, and that is where I shall go.

How he hated every pitiful human, jumping at their own shadow. Surely, if they had the choice, they would choose this? Why wouldn’t they? The cold hearted memories of his past locked away far enough that he could no longer reach them. His mind full of doom and sorrow, his blackened heart still in his chest, not beating. All of the senses heightened, the reflexes as quick as a cobra striking at its prey. The thrills of watching the crimson red blood pour from the puncture marks on some pretty maidens snow white neck. It was time. Time to have some long awaited fun…

I gave up.  All hope was gone. Every turn I took, I was surrounded. Surrounded by the quietness of the world. The wind had died down, the rain slowed to a stop. The silence was so loud, it threatened to engulf me; shouting, telling me to run and not to stop. This was the end; there was no escape, nowhere to run and nowhere to hide. He glided gracefully towards me; it was as though his feet never touched the ground. My heart was pounding frantically in my ears, but I ignored it as I stared in awe at the beautifully sculptured face of my killer staring hungrily down at me, his teeth barred and pointy. He seemed to tower above me, a stone sculpture against the now starry sky, looking down on my shocked face. I didn’t even see him move, he was just there, sinking his sparkling white teeth into my neck. I heard the loudness of my piercing scream echo around me, drowning out into a muffled whisper. But no one was there to save me as my blood ran freely down the road.

His stomach rumbled appreciatively as the storm sprang into life once more. Who’s next?

***

My name is Nicole Grimason and I'm a student at university studying Environmental management and Geography. I'm 18 and I currently live in Birmingham in the UK. I enjoy writing as it is a way to express all of the imaginative thoughts in my head and I hope you enjoy reading!

 

0
0
0
s2sdefault

Donate a little?

Use PayPal to support our efforts:

Amount

Genre Poll

Your Favorite Genre?

Sign Up for info from Short-Story.Me!

Stories Tips And Advice